Mardi Gras Links
Marti Gras Facts
How to Build a Float
- Purple represents justice
- Green stands for faith
- Gold stands for power
- Depends on the date of Easter
- The Mardi Gras celebration goes back to
an ancient Roman custom of Merrymaking before a period of fasting.
- In Germany it is called Fasnactch, and
in England it is called Pancake Day.
- Mardi Gras begins the Wednesday before
Shrove Tuesday and ending the night of Shrove Tuesday.
- The French heritage in 1699 started a
carnival type celebration which grew into the Mardi Gras of today.
- French Colonist introduced Mardi Gras
into the Americas in 1766.
- In New Orleans the King of Mardi Gras
is the Only Person on their Mardi Gras float that does not have
to wear a mask. All others in the procession must wear a mask.
- The Krewe of Aquarius celebrates Mardi
Gras with marching bands, dancers and decorated floats.